Rape of 13-year-old Ogden girl takes 11 years to solve due to multiple delays

Local News
Fransisco Garcia Mug_1520796988040.jpeg.jpg

OGDEN, Utah (News4Utah) – Police in Ogden have finally been able to solve the rape of a 13-year-old Ogden girl after the rape kit collected at the time was finally tested and the matching suspect came back to Utah.

Ogden Police arrested 48-year-old Francisco Javier Garcia last week and booked him into jail on charges of felony aggravated sexual assault and sodomy of a child.

According to charging documents, detectives in Ogden got the case in April of 2007 when the mother of the victim called police to tell them her daughter had been raped. Her daughter had returned home after running away a few days earlier.

The girl told her mom went to the River Inn in Ogden City where she met a man named “Frank”. 

The girl went with Garcia to a house at an unknown location where he sexually assaulted her. After the first assault, Garcia took the victim to another location and sexually assaulted her again.

At the time of the initial interview, the girl provided detectives with several details about the suspect, his
vehicle and the locations were the sexual assaults took place. The victim was then taken to Davis County facility where a rape kit collected DNA evidence. The kit, however, was not sent to the state lab for testing. 

For some unknown reason, the case was closed due to lack of evidence. 

In November 2014, the case was reassigned to another detective and the rape kit was sent to the lab where they indicated that saliva, that was not the victims, was located on the swabs taken during the original investigation in 2007. The swab was then sent for DNA processing. 

In January 2016, the detective was notified that the analyzed samples revealed the saliva matched a Francisco Garcia-Jimenez and the information was placed into a database for offenders.

As the detectives began their search for the suspect they discovered he had been deported to Mexico in 2009. The case was again closed. 

In December of 2016, the detective over the case learned that Garcia had been arrested and was currently incarcerated at the Daggett County Jail. A search warrant to collect a saliva swab of Garcia was approved and the testing was done at the jail. 

The details the victim had given to detectives in 2007 proved to be accurate as the man had the same tattoo the girl had remembered and was still driving the same vehicle. 

In an interview with detectives, Garcia never admitted to raping the girl however he did tell officers that if the DNA matches his then he must have had something to do with it. Pending a match to the DNA and waiting for an arrest warrant, Garcia was released from Daggett County Jail. 

When the arrest warrant was approved, they found Garcia was being detained in a jail in Texas for re-entering the United States and was eventually brought back to Utah.

He is being held in the Weber County Jail. His next court appearance is March 14. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.