UPDATE: Man in custody after North Salt Lake Police incident closes Legacy Parkway

Local News
WEDNESDAY 3/17/2021 1:53 p.m.

NORTH SALT LAKE, Utah (ABC4) – Police say a man is in custody after an incident closed down Legacy Parkway and Center Street in North Salt Lake City on Wednesday.

Sgt. Mitch Gwilliam with North Salt Lake City Police says Woods Cross Police attempted to stop a vehicle that had spray-painted windows and an American flag covering its license plate that was driving erratically.

At one point, police ended the pursuit as the driver continued to drive erratically, entering onto to I-15 south before traveling onto Center Street. Sgt. Gwilliam says the truck ultimately died and came to a stop on the Center Street bridge over Legacy Parkway.

The unidentified suspect then became noncompliant, according to Sgt. Gwilliam, and refused to respond to law enforcement. He adds that the man was holding a “metal rod and was swinging around in a threatening manner.”

Sgt. Gwilliams says the man was making “nonsensical statements” during the incident and stated that there was a bomb and a two-barrel shotgun in his truck. Sgt. Gwilliams adds that it appeared that the man was attempting to use lighter fluid or some other fire starter to start his vehicle on fire.

Ultimately, with the assistance of a SWAT team, Sgt. Gwilliam says the man was taken into custody safely “with minimal injuries” around 1:30 p.m. He adds that foam and gas rounds were used during the incident, as well as flashbang stun grenades.

According to Sgt. Gwilliam, the man was able to run down the side of a hill moments before police took him into custody. While no officers were reportedly injured, the man was transported to a local hospital to be treated.

A motive for the incident has not been determined.

Legacy Parkway reopens in North Salt Lake following police incident

WEDNESDAY 3/17/2021 1:35 p.m.

NORTH SALT LAKE, Utah (ABC4) – Legacy Parkway has reopened after a police incident on the Center Street bridge early Wednesday afternoon.

Emergency crews responded to a reported man barricaded within a car shortly before noon.

The situation evolved and SWAT was called in. A portion of Legacy Parkway, as well as Center Street, were closed while crews responded.

The Utah Department of Transportation says Legacy Parkway has reopened, as of 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Reports say the suspect has been taken into custody.

ABC4’s Jordan Burrows is on scene working to gather more details. Stick with ABC4 on-air and online for continuing coverage.

Original Story: Police situation closes bridge, portion of Legacy Parkway in North Salt Lake

WEDNESDAY 3/17/2021 12:09 p.m.

NORTH SALT LAKE, Utah (ABC4) – A large police presence has closed a portion of Center Street in North Salt Lake.

Authorities say emergency crews are on scene responding to a reported person barricaded inside a vehicle.

The bridge on Center Street over Legacy Parkway is shut down, as well as portions of the roadway on either side of the bridge. Traffic is currently being diverted off of Legacy Parkway.

The Utah Department of Transportation says both directions of Legacy Parkway between the I-215 junction and 500 S in Bountiful is closed because of this incident. The scene is estimated to be cleared around 1 p.m.

ABC4’s Jordan Burrows is on scene to gather more information. There are reports that rubber bullets and pepper spray have been used.

Nearby Legacy Preperatory Academy has also been placed on lockdown.

Few other details are known at this time. ABC4 will continue to provide updates on air and online as they become available.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Utah Coronavirus

More Coronavirus Updates


More In Focus

Justice Files

More Justice Files