Police: Payson man arrested for knocking out woman’s teeth, assaulting man on crutches

Local News
Jeris Hughes Mug_1556543588340.JPG.jpg

PAYSON, Utah (ABC4 News) — A Payson man was arrested after police say he beat up his ex-girlfriend and a roommate on Sunday.

According to arresting documents, police were called to a home in Utah County on a report of a domestic incident. When police arrived, a woman was being transported to the hospital who had been “beat up pretty bad”.

The woman had injuries to her face, lips and two of her teeth had been knocked out. 

Documents state the woman said Jeris Hughes, 34, was intoxicated and out of control and he had beat her up. A man who lives at the home told police Hughes head-butted him a few times and was pushing and shoving him around trying to get him to leave.

The male victim was on crutches and said he fled the home without his crutches just to get away but Hughes followed him outside, pushed him down and took his cell phone so that he could not call the police, according to documents.

The man said he hobbled to a neighbor’s house and asked for help. Hughes left the home before police arrived, documents state.

Officers found Hughes the next day and took him into custody. During an interview with police, Hughes said he doesn’t remember much because he was drunk but that I could probably find the second victim’s cell phone out back of the house in a field.

The woman told police she had been in a relationship with Hughes for about a year and a half, but it ended a few months ago, document state. 

Hughes was booked into the Utah County Jail on misdemeanor charges of intoxication, interruption, and interference of a communications device and assault and one count third-degree felony aggravated assault. 

Hughes was arrested on April 5, 2019, after he punched the same woman and pushed her friend down a small flight of stairs then hit her head on the ground. He pleaded no contest to the assault on April 15 and was given a suspended jail sentence of six months, a $1,000 fine and was placed on probation for one year. 

In August 2018 Hughes was arrested after he went to an apartment of someone he did not know, threatened and assaulted the man who was inside with his children. He pleaded guilty and was given 60 days in jail and placed back on probation for three years.

Hughes has a long criminal history of misdemeanor charges including disorderly conduct, possession of a deadly weapon, possession of a controlled substance, criminal mischief, unlawful detention of a minor and intoxication. Hughes was convicted of felony burglary charges in 2009 and was placed into mental health courts for resolution. 

Support for victims and survivors of domestic and intimate partner violence is available 24/7: 1-800-897-LINK (5465). If you or someone else is in immediate danger, or in an emergency, please call 9-1-1 immediately

For those suffering from mental illness and need help, please call the National Alliance for Mental Health at (801) 323-9900. 

What others are clicking on: 

10-year-old who crashed her bike into a car in American Fork has died 

Teenage boy shot in Salt Lake City

45 years after being ‘Abducted in Plain Sight,’ Jan Broberg shares more of her story

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.