(UPDATE) – The suspect arrested in the stabbing death of a 19-year-old last month in West Valley City has now been charged with murder.
Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office filed the one count of first-degree murder against Beni Hautau on Wednesday in 3rd District Court.
Hautau was arrested on October 25 and is currently being held on a $1 million dollar bail.
WEST VALLEY CITY (ABC4 News) – Police announced they made an arrest in the death of a 19-year-old Utah man.
Beni Hautau, 19, is suspected of fatally stabbing Treyvon Stephens on October 24.
Stephens was stabbed in the parking lot of an apartment complex at 4000 South Redwood Road.
West Valley City police said Hautau was found after he was arrested by Salt Lake City officers in possession of a stolen vehicle.
Investigators believe it’s the same vehicle the suspect used to flee the scene following the Stephens homicide.
A records check for Hautau shows he has prior convictions for possession of a controlled substance, giving false information to police, felony assault by a prisoner, aggravated robbery, possession of a dangerous weapon and felony discharge of a firearm.
WHAT OTHERS ARE READING:
- Semi truck blaze shuts down Utah state road in both directions
- Curtis: If government shuts down, Congress shouldn’t get paid
- ‘No reasonable excuse’: TSA says man blamed wife for prohibited item in bag
- Fetterman compares Menendez to Tony Soprano: ‘He needs to go’
- Durbin, No. 2-ranking Senate Democrat, calls for Menendez to resign