Police: Fashion Place Mall shooting was gang-related

Local News

MURRAY, Utah (ABC4 News) – Sunday afternoon two rival gangs ran into each other at Fashion Place Mall. What followed was a lot of hysteria and fear.

Det. Kenny Bass with the Murray Police Dept. said the members between the gangs got into an argument inside the mall. As one group started to leave, Det. Bass said the other group followed after.

As they got outside someone in the second group turned and fired at the other group, injuring two people, Bass said.

A member of the gang of the two shot returned fire and everyone took off, Det. Bass said

It was at that point that dispatch received the call of a shooting near the southeast entrance of the mall near the Container Store and Dillard’s. 

At first, it was reported as an active shooter.

This video captures the moment shoppers heard the gunfire>>

The mall was evacuated and passersby helped the two victims who were eventually transported to Intermountain Medical Center, one in critical and one in serious condition. 



Investigators working over night were able to track down and interview some of those involved. Det. Bass said Jesus J. Payan-Mendoza, 19 and Jorge C. Gonzalez, 19 were booked into Salt Lake County Jail on charges of attempted criminal homicide and the discharge of a firearm.

Police are currently interviewing others involved, more charges and arrests may follow.

The woman shot was released from the hospital Sunday afternoon. Det. Bass said the male is still in the hospital.

Part of the chaos and confusion occurred after an alarm went off inside the mall before the shooting.

“The alarm that went off in Fashion Place Mall was actually an inadvertent alarm, that they had been having troubles with for the past couple of days and it just happened to be going off even before the verbal altercation,” Det. Bass said.

Several former employees at the mall told ABC4 an alarm frequently goes off inside the mall and is often ignored.
After the shots were fired the mall went into evacuation mode, but several people were confused due to the prior alarm that had seemingly been ignored.

ABC4 is following this story. Updates will be posted as they become available. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


More Podcasts