UPDATE: Man in custody after barricading himself in Pleasant Grove home

Local News

UPDATE TUESDAY 3/16/21 8:44 P.M.

PLEASANT GROVE, UTAH (ABC4) – A suspect who barricaded himself in a home in Pleasant Grove after a multi-hour standoff with police is now in custody.

The man surrendered to officers after gas canisters were deployed in the house. He was taken into custody uninjured.

No law enforcement officers were injured in the incident.

Officials tell the ABC4 that the man was having a mental health episode.

 “There is mental health issues here that have gone untreated. I understand that this individual is a lot different when he is on his medication, but, so yeah it’s a mental health issue but when he gets a firearm, when he comes out into the public and starts threatening the community with a firearm and discharging that weapon, and start shooting at law enforcement, it becomes a criminal matter and not a mental health matter” Captain Britt Smith with the Pleasant Grove Police Department said.

The man was taken into custody for aggravated assault and firing a weapon within city limits

“It did surprise us that he surrendered. We’re extremely grateful that he surrendered,” Capt. Smith said.

Police have identified the suspect as Robert Sterling Clark. He was booked into the Utah County Jail Tuesday night after a long stand-off with the Pleasant Grove Police and Utah County SWAT.

He has been charged with aggravated assault, attempted aggravated murder, attempted murder, and Felony discharge of a weapon in city limits.


PLEASANT GROVE, Utah (ABC4) – Residents living in Pleasant Grove have been asked to shelter in place due to heavy police presence in the area.

The heavy police presence is near 500 East and 500 North. Officials are asking all residents on 500 North between 500 and 600 East to shelter in place.

A man has barricaded in a home in the area after discharging a firearm and pointing it at neighbors but he did not shoot at them. Police say they have the suspect contained and are attempting to negotiate his surrender.

The man had reportedly fired several shots before police got to the scene.

When police showed up the man also fired two shots at officers and police say they returned fire but no one was injured.

The man is said to have threatened police. Police are unsure if there are hostages inside the home.

No injuries have been reported as a result of the incident.

Police say traffic is shut down on 500 North and they are asking residents and the public to avoid the area.

This is a developing story. ABC4 will provide updates as they become available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.



Utah Coronavirus

More Coronavirus Updates


More In Focus

Justice Files

More Justice Files

Trending Stories