‘Our worst nightmare’: Police release timeline of events that ended in deadly shooting

Local News

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – Utah law enforcement agencies released a detailed timeline of a crime spree that spanned multiple cities and ended in an officer-involved shooting that left the suspect dead.

Salt Lake City Police Department, Unified Police Department, and Utah Highway Patrol worked in cooperation to stop Harold Robinson, 37, of West Valley City, who they said went on a crime spree Monday morning.

Police said Robinson committed armed robberies in Taylorsville and Millcreek, before leading officers on a chase through Salt Lake City while firing back at them. Robinson was eventually shot and killed by officers after he crashed his truck in South Salt Lake. 

The following information is the timeline of events provided by law enforcement officials:

10:05 a.m. Unified Police received a call of a man with a gun at the Holiday Oil, 2729 West 4700 South, Taylorsville. A report was made of a male attempting to steal a case of beer. When he was confronted by a customer, the male suspect pulled a handgun from his waistband and fled the scene. The male was described as a bearded male, balding on top, wearing a green sweater, and blue jeans. He left in a white, older model Ford F-350 Utah license plate 1B7MM.

10:37 a.m., Unified Police received a call of a robbery at the 7-Eleven located at 911 East 3300 South. A male entered the store, presented a firearm and demanded money from the cash register. As the male left he fired the handgun inside the store. No injuries were reported. The male left the scene in an older model Ford pick-up truck.

10:42 a.m., SLC 911 received calls reporting shots fired at the Sheraton Hotel located at 150 West 500 South. Several individuals called and gave a vehicle description of an older model, white Ford truck. The male was reported to have driven west to 400 West and then going north on 400 W. The suspect then was observed turning east on South Temple St. and then turned south on Main Street.

At approximately 10:44 a.m., the male again fired his weapon in front of 111 South Main Street and continued driving.

At approximately 10:51 a.m., the male was again observed by citizens firing his weapon at 500 South State Street and then continuing to drive.

At approximately 10:53 a.m., the male fired his weapon at a vehicle near 500 South and 200 East.

At approximately 10:55 a.m., officers located the vehicle driving South on State Street. Officers from Salt Lake City Police and Utah Highway Patrol began following the vehicle and attempted to pull it over. While following the truck, officers continued to see the driver firing his weapon from his vehicle. Officers attempted to use spike strips to stop the vehicle, but they were not successful. A modified pit maneuver was attempted at 3300 South State Street. Shortly after, the suspect vehicle crashed at 3339 South State Street, at which time shots were exchanged with the suspect and officers.

As a result of this incident, multiple officers were placed on administrative leave, which is standard protocol for this type of incident. Salt Lake City Police Department has 10 officers on administrative leave, Utah Highway Patrol has three officers on administrative leave, and the Unified Police Department has two officers on administrative leave.

The West Valley City-led protocol team is handling this investigation of the officer-involved shooting that occurred in South Salt Lake. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Transfer of Power

FULL COVERAGE: Transfer of Power