TAYLORSVILLE, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) – One man is hospitalized after his apartment caught fire, early Tuesday morning.
Flames at the Mark Twain Apartments (4639 Sunstone Road) forced evacuations on dozens of tenants, after some reported hearing an explosion.
“We didn’t see the explosion. Heard it, went to the door, smelled the gas, and said, ‘Get dressed. Let’s get out of here,'” one resident recalled.
Witnesses say others ran through hallways to make sure everyone made it out, while Unified Fire Authority rushed to the scene. Crews say because rushing the injured man to the hospital was top priority, they did not have time to interview him about what happened.
“He was on his way to the hospital when I got here. He came out of the apartment, and the paramedics grabbed him, threw him in the back of the ambulance, and hustled right away,” explained UFA Battalion Chief Brad Lynn.
Rumors about how the fire started spread quickly around the complex. Now, as investigators work to uncover the truth, the close call has fortunate tenants who still have their homes thinking about future safety.
“If you live on a top floor, there’s not fire escapes, so yeah, it’s nerve-racking,” a neighbor said.
Investigators say the hospitalized man’s injuries are not life threatening.
The American Red Cross responded and committed to helping those displaced.
This is a developing story. More information will be posted as it becomes available.