UPDATE: Officials identified the female victim of the fatal crash as 31-year-old Mavil Labra of West Valley City.
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah (ABC4 News) – A man was arrested following a deadly crash on New Year’s Day in South Salt Lake.
South Salt Lake Police said the crash involved two vehicles at 2700 South 300 West.
South Salt Lake Sgt. Matthew Oehler said a woman in her 30s was taken to the hospital where she later died.
The other driver, now identified as Wilonja Lusungu, 46, of Salt Lake City was hospitalized and is believed to have been under the influence at the time of the crash.
“There is some alcohol impairment that is suspected..and that will certainly be part of the investigation moving forward. There are investigators as part of that CAR team at the hospital and will obtain some blood alcohol search warrants,” said Sgt. Oehler.
Once discharged, Lusungu was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail. He now faces a charge of DUI involving serious injury or death, a third-degree felony.
What others are clicking on:
- Eric Gordon scores 50 as Houston ends Utah’s 9-game home win streak, 126-117
- Hundreds rally for Charter Day on Capitol Hill
- Chief justice: Jail and prisons are our states’ new de facto mental institutions
- Petition calls on NBA to change logo in honor of Kobe Bryant
- Suspect arrested in connection with reported abduction near West Valley high school