Officials: Fire that killed child, grandmother in Murray was due to electrical short

Local News
2 killed in murray house fire

MURRAY, Utah (ABC4 News) – The fire that claimed the lives of a child and her grandmother in Murray Monday has been ruled accidental. 

Officials with Murray City Fire tweeted Wednesday night that the investigation into the blaze has been completed. The fire was caused by an electrical short from a permanently installed extension cord that ran through the wall underneath the stairs of the home. 

The fire spread rapidly from the bottom floor up to the top floor, where 7-year-old Cassidy Jackson and her grandmother Lisa Wiley were found dead. 

Jackson’s mother and uncle were able to escape, officials said Monday. 

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family during this difficult time. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.