SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Utah) Nominees were announced Friday to fill an upcoming Utah Supreme Court vacancy.
The vacancy results from the retirement of Justice Christine Durham, effective November 16, 2017.
The Appellate Judicial Nominating Commission has selected the following nominees:
- Christopher Ballard, assistant solicitor general, Utah Attorney General’s Office
- Michele Christiansen, judge, Utah Court of Appeals
- Paige Petersen, judge, Third District Court
- Margaret Plane, city attorney, Salt Lake City Corporation,
- Jill Pohlman, judge, Utah Court of Appeals,
- Derek Pullan, judge, Fourth District Court,
- Terry Welch, attorney/shareholder, Parr Brown Gee & Loveless.
Would you like to voice your opinion about one or more of the nominees? Written comments can be submitted to the Appellate Judicial Nominating Commission chair Aida Neimarlija at firstname.lastname@example.org or Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice, P.O. Box 142330, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2330. The deadline for written comments is noon Oct. 2, 2017. The Nominating Commission may request further information or conduct an investigation of the nominees after reviewing public comments.
After the public comment period, the names will be sent to Gov. Gary R. Herbert, who will have 30 days to make an appointment. Gov. Herbert’s appointee is subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.