MAPLETON, Utah (ABC4) – A mountain lion sighting was reported in Utah County Wednesday night.
Mapleton Police say the Utah Division of Wildlife notified them regarding the big cat, which was spotted by the gate at the mouth of Maple Canyon.
“We just want residents that live and recreate in the canyon to be aware there was a sighting,” says Mapleton Police.
In late April, a cougar was sighted in a Bountiful backyard. Earlier in the month, a cougar was found strolling around Draper. Wildlife officials were able to capture and transport the cougar to a safe space in the mountains.
The DWR lists the following tips for preventing cougar incidents:
- Do not leave children outside unattended, especially at dawn and dusk
- As a deterrent, install outside and motion-sensitive lighting around your property
- Trim vegetation and remove wood piles to reduce hiding places for wildlife
- Bring pets and livestock inside at night or secure them in a barn or kennel with a top
- Provide secure shelter for hobby farm animals such as poultry, rabbits and goats