Mom discovers Gatorade mystery after recent purchase

Local News
ST. GEORGE, Utah (ABC4 Utah) – A St. George mom got more than she bargained for when she bought a 12 pack of Gatorade for her son’s basketball tournament. 
 
“It’s really bad, there’s something not okay,” said Amy MacIntosh about one of the bottles.
 
MacIntosh and two of her children have a heart condition and need to stay hydrated, so buying Gatorade for her family is a regular practice
 
“We go through a lot of it trying to keep them hydrated so they don’t go into cardiac arrest while they’re playing sports,” said McIntosh
 
But Monday’s purchase was different. Her 10-year-old son noticed something right away.
“And we were loading things in the trunk, and he said: ‘Mom, look at this one: it’s clear, that’s really weird.’ And I was like: ‘that is strange.’ “
 
MacIntosh said all of the bottles were sealed, the lid secure, but when she got home, she decided to open it. Then she smelled it.
 
“It’s this weird chemical strong smell that kind of burns your nose,” said McIntosh.
 
MacIntosh took the Gatorade to a pharmacist searching for answers, who said to make sure no one drank it. 
 
“She’s like something’s not okay, something’s not right,” said MacIntosh. 
 
“It has like a rancid almost chemical odor with like a hint of fruit,” said Pharmacist Shaunna Rechateiner, owner of Crimson Valley Pharmacy.
 
MacIntosh also reached out to Gatorade Monday. This morning they responded – apologizing and offering Amy a refund. They said they’d give her a coupon, but she’s more concerned there might be other similar bottles. 
 
“I don’t need my six dollars back. I want to make sure that someone doesn’t get sick, or drinks it or feeds it to their kids!” Said McIntosh.
 
ABC 4 reached out to the Health Department. Officials are now in touch with MacIntosh.
 
“The first line of getting satisfaction as far as a complaint or concern is to go back to the store, the place of purchase, and they are the ones who are going to be able to check the rest of the stock and trace it back through the process of delivery or back to the manufacturer,” said David Heaton with the Southwest Utah Department of Health. 
 
MacIntosh said she hopes someone can help her know what’s in the bottle, and wants to warn others.
 
“I just want to make sure that no ones’ putting it in their child’s cup, and giving it in a sippy cup, or dumping it in a cooler,” said MacIntosh.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

John Legend PSA

Thumbnail for the video titled "John Legend PSA"

Latest News Videos

Avalanche in Little Cottonwood Canyon 1/17/20 Courtesy: UDOT

Thumbnail for the video titled "Avalanche in Little Cottonwood Canyon 1/17/20 Courtesy: UDOT"

Rain sweeps through New South Wales

Thumbnail for the video titled "Rain sweeps through New South Wales"

Social media users in Australia rejoice for rain

Thumbnail for the video titled "Social media users in Australia rejoice for rain"

Clerk goes down, firefighters ring up customers

Thumbnail for the video titled "Clerk goes down, firefighters ring up customers"

S.D. bill could criminalize doctors who perform gender affirming surgeries

Thumbnail for the video titled "S.D. bill could criminalize doctors who perform gender affirming surgeries"

Midway Ice Castles daily maintenance list longer than their biggest icicle

Thumbnail for the video titled "Midway Ice Castles daily maintenance list longer than their biggest icicle"
More Video News

Don't Miss