SPANISH FORK (News4Utah)- A holiday turned tragic when a Spanish Fork man was severely burned while grilling hamburgers on Easter Sunday. He died a few days later.
Police say Larry Webster’s family were enjoying a barbeque and Easter egg hunt Sunday when Larry’s shirt caught fire as he was grilling hamburgers.
Officials say the family was able to put the fire out quickly, but unfortunately, the 73-year-old suffered second and third degree burns to 50 percent of his body.
Wednesday, he died from the injuries.
“When it gets dark, all I see is that vision of my father on fire,” said Webster’s daughter, Robin Thatcher, who was there during the incident. “He loved his kids, he loved his grandkids and he absolutely adored his great-grandchildren.”
Webster had knee replacements which made it difficult for him to “stop, drop and roll,” his family said. They had to tackle him to the ground and put the fire out with a blanket, according to his daughter.
Webster’s family is working to raise money for funeral expenses. He was a beloved teacher and had served in the Utah National Guard.
Click here if you’d like to donate to help them.