Kaysville, Utah (ABC4 News) – A Taylorsville man is accused of threatening members of Congress.

Scott Brian Haven, 54, was arrested Tuesday morning in Kaysville after he was charged with one count of interstate transmission of threats to injure, according to officials.

It all started in January 2017, when staff for the White House reported they received a concerning phone call threatening a representative, according to the unsealed complaint.

The caller who was later identified as Haven said “a certain representative ought to be shot,” a White House staffer reported.

Haven reportedly called multiple times after that initial call issuing threats to various senators and representatives while using profanity.

According to a probable cause statement, on May 17, 2018 alone, Haven called 32 times.

Court documents stated that during one of the numerous calls Haven was agitated and said “he would like to slice off the heads of two senators.”

Subsequent calls after the first one was transferred to the United States Capitol Police Threat Assessment Section.

During one of the calls transferred to a TAS special agent, Haven continued to use profanity even after the agent had identified himself and said a few minutes into the call, “Come and arrest me! I would like to f**** beat the S*** out of you just for trying!” documents stated.

In August 2018, an FBI agent called Haven from the telephone number he used to call the White House previously and he answered the phone identifying himself, documents stated.

Court documents stated that Haven denied making calls to members of Congress except to one during an interview with the FBI.

Haven reportedly expressed negative feelings towards members of Congress and was upset about the purpose of the FBI calling him stating that “conservatives don’t commit violent acts against political opponents; that type of behavior is conducted by people on the left.”

Capitol police obtained phone records from AT&T confirming Haven’s calls to the White House, according to court documents.

Investigators state between May 2018 to October 2018, phone records indicate 1,499 outgoing calls from Haven’s phone to the White House.

U.S. Chief Magistrate Judge Paul M. Warner found Haven to be a danger to the community and ordered him to be detained pending resolution of the case, according to a press release issued Wednesday.

Officials said the potential maximum penalty for the charge in the indictment is 5 years in prison and a fine of $250,000.

The next hearing in the case will be June 13, 2019, at 04:15 p.m.


Donovan Mitchell’s childhood friend works out for the Jazz

Police thwarted by electronic doors during Virginia shooting

Police in Alaska detain 12-year-old boy in fatal shooting