Newsfore Opt-In Form

Holiday fire safety

Local News
OTD October 28 - Baku Metro fire_2237492224762704-159532

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) The holidays are here, and while our decorations and heating methods are enjoyable, they can pose a serious threat for a house fire.

Space heaters, Christmas trees, lights, candles and fire places all have their own risk. The Salt Lake City Fire Department warns “According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 230 home fires that started with Christmas trees annually between 2007 and 2011. These fires caused an average of six deaths, 22 injuries, and $18.3 million in direct property damage annually.”

Here’s a few tips.

Never operate a space heater you suspect has something wrong with it, space heaters cause 79% of home heating fire deaths.
Inspect Christmas lights before use, inspect for cracked sockets, frayed, loose or bare wires or loose connections. Unplug light strings before replacing bulbs or fuses.
Check Christmas tree freshness, since a fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree also look for a fire resistant label when buying your tree.    
Practice your family escape plan, it only takes 30 seconds for a fire to double in size, so timing is everything to getting out safely.

This all according to the SLC Fire Department, for more info click here.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Hide Custom HTML H2 CSS