High speed chase suspect released 3 months ago from prison for 2015 pursuit with officers

Local News

SANDY, Utah (News4Utah) – A man who took officers on a high-speed chase in 2015 was arrested for the same thing on Friday, just three months after he was released from prison.

According to a press release, an off-duty Salt Lake City Police officer spotted a stolen vehicle on Friday just after 4 p.m. on I-15 near 9000 South.

He attempted to stop the vehicle, which fled and took the 10600 South exit. The stolen vehicle went westbound on 10600 South and then turned north on Jordan Parkway, driving into oncoming traffic. The officer terminated and Sandypolice attempted to stop the stolen vehicle a short while later.

The driver took off again and struck a construction sign. Sandy terminated when the driver again went into oncoming traffic.

A Department of Public Safety helicopter was en route to the hanger from a search and rescue mission in Juab County and began to support the pursuit.

The driver of the stolen vehicle turned east onto 9000 South, re-entered the I-15 freeway. He came upon congestion in the area so he jumped out of the car ran over the barricade on the right shoulder, trying to hide in some bushes.

A UHP trooper arrived in the area and found the abandoned stolen vehicle rolling down the right travel lane. He was able to put the car in park and then set up for containment as the helicopter flew overhead.

The helicopter was able to use the loud speaker to instruct the driver to exit the bushes where he was taken into custody by South Jordan police.

UHP assumed the lead investigative role and is working with SBI to determine the exact sequence of events.

In addition to the stolen vehicle, troopers have also recovered stolen credit cards and IDs, as well as drugs and paraphernalia.

The driver has been identified as 25-year-old Dustin Gunther of Magna, and is currently on parole. He was involved in another high speed chase with officers in 2015 where he was busted after driving the wrong way on I-70 in Emery County and then crashing his vehicle on SR 6.

He was released from prison in July of 2018. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.