Health center deemed safe after contamination scare

Local News
wayne_co._clinic_scare_.jpg

BICKNELL, Utah (News4Utah)- A Wayne County health facility was closed after officials said a man died after they “encountered an industrial pesticide material” was transported to the site.

It happened around 7:45 p.m. Sunday.

The medical clinic, pharmacy, and dental clinic at the Bicknell Wayne County Community Health Center were closed and all medical personnel were evaluated as a precaution.

The Utah National Guard 85th Weapons of Mass Destruction-Civil Support Team deemed the building safe around 2 p.m. Monday. The clinic was re-opened for urgent care around 3 p.m. 

Officials said the clinic will return to normal business hours Tuesday. 

The victim in the incident was identified as George Coombs, 70, of Teasdale. 

Officials said it is unclear how or why pesticide was used. The natural guard determined the pesticide was an aluminum horsehide. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Utah VP Debate

More Utah Debate