SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (News4Utah) – Wendell Rivera could be dead.
“I wasn’t responsive at all, or anything like that — I started going blue in the face and everything. Started getting really cold,” said Rivera.
Rivera was overdosing on heroin. Until his friend administered Narcan.
“Seconds later, I came out of it,” said Rivera.
Narcan is the nasal form of Naloxone. And on Thursday, the U.S. Surgeon General made a big announcement about the medicine.
“They want anyone who may come across anyone who could overdose, to have one of these kits on hand,” said Kali Mower with Odyssey House in Salt Lake.
Odyssey House is now giving out hundreds of the kits for free in light of the Surgeon General’s recommendation.
The kits can be picked up at their offices, no questions asked.
“If you have any exposure to the stuff, one of these kits can really save you or a loved one’s life,” said Mower.
Rivera is living proof that Narcan works.
“It was a very scary experience,” said Rivera.
“I don’t want to go through it again, and I wouldn’t wish it on anybody else.”
More information about Odyssey House can be found here: https://www.odysseyhouse.org/