Update: Police have identified the suspect as Creed Cole Lujan, 43, of West Valley City. He was booked into Salt Lake County Jail on felony charges of aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual abuse of a child, rape, two counts of aggravated assault, and distributing pornographic material.
WEST VALLEY CITY (ABC4 News) – Unified police say they have a suspect in custody in connection with the reported abduction of a West Valley City high school student.
Police announced the apprehension of the suspect just before 10 p.m., but due to the “extensive amount of work the investigators still have to do,” the name and additional details won’t be released until Tuesday.
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray said a teenage girl reported she was walking home from Hunter High School around 2:30 p.m. when he was abducted.
Granite School District said after she escaped her abductor, she was found by her friends near the school located at 4500 South 5600 West.
Police said the suspect is described as a heavyset man in his 30s to 50s with blonde hair, beard, and a mustache driving a silver Nissan Rogue.
District officials said they don’t many details about the situation, but they wanted to alert parents, “so families can take appropriate steps to ensure the safety of children.”
District officials said extra police officers will be at the school and patrolling the area until the case is resolved. School social works will also be on hand to offer support.
This is a developing story. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
WHAT OTHERS ARE READING:
- Want to play Pac-Man in the real world? You need a Caterpillar vehicle for this wild Illinois maze
- COVID-19 Utah: 1,765 new COVID-19, 4 more deaths reported Sunday
- Medical condition possible factor in head-on collision on SR-201
- Search and Rescue crews help 2 minors who spent the night in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AMBER Alert issued for two girls abducted, after two boys were found dead in Leavenworth