SALT LAKE CITY (News4Utah) - Governor Gary Herbert issued an executive order Monday declaring a State of Emergency due to Utah’s drought.
The order allows drought-affected communities, agricultural producers to officially begin the process that may provide access to state or federal resources.
The drought declaration was a recent recommendation of the Utah Drought Review and Reporting Committee.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 2018 (October 2017-September 2018) was officially Utah's driest year on record.
Six rural Utah counties have also declared emergency drought disasters, including Box Elder, Carbon... Emery, Grand, San Juan, and Wayne Counties.
In a statement, Governor Herbert said:
"Such difficult conditions are harming the quality of life and the livelihoods of many Utah families and agricultural producers. The ramifications of drought extend beyond our depleted water supply. Drought harms our industries, agriculture, recreation, and wildlife, and it worsens wildfire conditions and air quality."
Gov. Herbert also asks Utahns to use water wisely year round.
Water conservation suggestions include:
- Fixing any leaks
- Only running dishwashers or washing machines when they are full
- Turning off the water while brushing teeth
- Reducing showers by at least one minute
Reservoir storage facts and updates:
- All of Utah’s 29 counties are experiencing some level of drought.
- Sixteen of Utah’s top 49 reservoirs are less than 20 percent full.
- Eight of Utah’s top 49 reservoirs are less than five percent full.
- A full list of reservoir levels is available here: Reservoir Levels
Additional conservation resources:
- For conservation tips and tricks, visit Slow the Flow
- To see what rebates are available in your area, visit Utah Water Savers
- To learn how to upgrade the aesthetics and water sustainability of your landscape, visit LocalScapes.com
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) The mother of a University of Utah…
SAN JUAN COUNTY, Utah (ABC4 News) – UPDATE: San Juan County Sheriff's…
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – This week if you're on the University of…