KANE COUNTY, Utah (ABC4 News) – Four people were flown to the hospital after a cabin explosion in Kane County Saturday night.
According Cedar Mountain Fire Protection Fire Chief Casey Tuttle, a couple in their 20s and their one-year old infant were staying at a rental cabin in the Falcon’s Nest in Duck Creek Village and had left for the day. Upon returning around 11 p.m., they noticed the propane heater pilot light was out, so they contacted maintenance.
The property manager showed up and once he lit the pilot light, flames shot out a couple of feet and exploded due to the amount of propane that was inside the structure, according to Tuttle.
Tuttle said all four walls and the roof were totally blown off the structure and three other cabins around them caught fire.
During the explosion, a beam came down on the mom and the baby. The property manager was able to lift the beam and get them out, said Tuttle.
Three medical helicopters, two from Classic and one from Life Flight helped to take the four individuals to Dixie Regional Medical Center where they were treated for their injuries, none of which are considered life-threatening.
Several agencies responded within 4 minutes to the area. Firefighters from Orderville, Kanab, Panguitch Lake and Panguitch all assisted for a total of 25 firefighters who battled -13 degree weather to extinguish the fires. Tuttle said the freezing temperatures made it difficult for firefighters due to safety issues and freezing water problems.
In all, one cabin received minor damage, two had exterior damage outside and some damage inside and the one that exploded is a complete loss.
The fire was fully contained around 5 a.m. It is estimated the damages are around $400,000.
Tuttle also wanted to express to the public how important it is to uncover their regulators and to be aware if there are any unusual smells when dealing with propane.