LAS VEGAS, Nev. (News4Utah)- A photo showing a baby burned by water from a garden hose is warning parents about the dangers of summer.
The photo was shared by the Las Vegas & Fire Rescue Monday afternoon.
“Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals,” the tweet stated.
Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals. pic.twitter.com/FMkzEt27xl— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) June 4, 2018
Fire crews recommend letting the hose run for a few minutes before spraying people or animals.
Every year, there are reports of children left in hot cars. But it’s not just babies. Monday alone, there were six calls of dogs left in hot cars.
Salt Lake County Animal Control says on average, they receive 100 calls a month of pets trapped in cars in the summer.
Chad Myler, the Injury Prevention Program Manager at Salt Lake County Health, says remember the acronym: ACT.
A: Avoid leaving kids and pets in hot cars
“Wou don’t want to leave a child unattended even for one minute. Especially on a week like this, when the temperatures gone up. We want to remember to keep safe out in the sun and especially with younger children their bodies heat up 3 to 5 times faster than adult.
C: Create reminder
“So if you are traveling with your child especially during the summer months and you are off your routine, put the phone or purse in the back seat by your child and when you do get to your destination you remember they’re there.”
T: Take action
“If you see any child in an unattended car, call 911.