Due to current high temperatures and extremely dry conditions in northern Utah fire restrictions have been ordered for several counties.
Davis, Morgan, Salt Lake, Tooele, and Utah counties are all in the fire restriction area.
According to the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands starting Thursday the following is prohibited:
- Setting, building, maintaining, attending or using open fires of any kind, except within the facilities designated for them in improved campgrounds, picnic areas or home sites where running water is present;
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area that is paved or free from dry vegetation;
- Discharging or using any kind of fireworks, tracer ammunition or other pyrotechnic devices including exploding targets;
- Cutting, welding or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation;
- Operating a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV, or other small internal combustion engine without an approved and working spark arrestor.
The restrictions are for state owned land and unincorporated lands.Violators will can cost up to $1,000 in fines and six months in jail.
For the latest fire restrictions click here.