UPDATE: THURSDAY, 8/26/21, 3:35 P.M.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) – The Salt Lake City Police Department has identified the suspect in a standoff that lasted around 7-hours Wednesday night. He has been identified as 50-year-old Thomas Brown.

On Wednesday, August 25, around 3:30 p.m., SLC police received a call of a domestic disturbance involving a firearm at a residence in the Fairpark neighborhood. The neighborhood is located near 300 N and 600 W.

Police say Brown allegedly raised his gun towards a female victim after making statements that made her “fear for her life.” The victim was able to leave the residence and notify a family member who then called 9-1-1.

After repeated attempts to contact Brown, SLC officers say they were able to breach a bedroom window around 10:15 p.m. Shortly after the breach, officers say Brown exited the residence and surrendered without incident. A search of the residence revealed a .44 handgun inside the bedroom.

Brown, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on charges of Aggravated Assault – Domestic Violence, Brandishing a Firearm, and Intoxication.

UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, 8/25/21, 10:55 P.M.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) – The Salt Lake City Police Department said the suspect peacefully surrendered to officers following the multi-hour stand-off and is now in custody.

No injuries were reported during the standoff. The suspect, who officials say is approximately 50-years-old, has not yet been identified.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.


SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) – Police are currently working to contact a domestic violence suspect who is held up inside a home in Salt Lake City Wednesday evening.

According to the Salt Lake City Police Department, officers responded to a home near 300 N. 600 W. for a reported domestic violence situation.

A woman told law enforcement that a man inside the home with her was making threats and was armed with a gun.

The woman was able to escape home unharmed. However, the male suspect is still inside the home and is refusing law enforcement’s commands to exit the home.

A SWAT team along with social workers are on scene communicating with the suspect.

The public is advised to avoid the area as officers continue to respond to the situation.

Police say there is no threat to the public at this time.

No further information has been released.

This is a developing story. It will be updated as more information becomes available.