SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) – A shopping center was closed and evacuated after a gas leak Monday evening.
The gas leak happened near 3939 South Wasatch Blvd at the Olympus Hills shopping center, according to officials.
Unified Fire Authority says they are working with Dominion Energy and Unified Police Department to secure the Olympus Hills shopping center, as Dominion investigates the source of a natural gas leak in the area of the commercial businesses.
The call for the gas leak come in a little before 7:30 p.m. and shortly after the Maceys grocery store and some restaurants were immediately evacuated. Officials say local businesses were evacuated as a precaution.
Matthew McFarland with Unified Fire Authority said, “We have some devices that we can monitor the air. They have more complex devices that can get better numbers and more specifics to help them locate that exact source. Depending on how long it takes to find it. If it’s deep underground or the building it could be hours.”
There were no injuries or immediate need for concern as a result of the fire.
Officials say the shopping center will remain evacuated until Dominion can find the source of the leak and get it under control.
While the leak is being repaired, there will be a suppression crew on standby in case of a fire, according to officials.