Brush fire in Provo caused by lawnmower, officials say

Local News

Courtesy: Provo Fire and Rescue

PROVO, Utah (ABC4) – Firefighters responded to brush fire near Orem Wednesday afternoon.

According to Provo Fire and Rescue, the fire is located in the area of 400 N. River Park Dr.

The fire reportedly started after a lawn mower hit a rock, setting off sparks that ignited the brush.

Fortunately, crews were able to contain the fire to less than four acres.

The Orem Fire Department responded along with Provo Fire and Rescue as the fire threatened homes near the Provo and Orem border.

Photos taken at the scene show just how close the flames came to affecting nearby homes.

Officials say while the fire was an unfortunate accident, it’s a reminder for all Utahns to remain aware of fire risks this summer.

“Just because you can; doesn’t mean you should; BUT If you must; then please go to one of the fourteen parks designated as areas to use fireworks,” Provo Fire and Rescue said in a Facebook post.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Utah Coronavirus

More Coronavirus Updates

IN FOCUS

More In Focus

Justice Files

More Justice Files