Zach Whitney from Utah Department of Transportation explains what construction projects Utah drivers need to plan for this weekend.
500 South ramp restrictions in Salt Lake City
- The ramp from 500 South to I-15 and I-80 will have lane restrictions in place each night and weekend now through August.
- Plan for delays and extra traffic, especially if you’re leaving downtown after an event this summer – like the Twilight concerts, or a play at the Eccles Theater.
- Use 1300 South or 600 North instead to get onto the freeway.
- Crews are working on a bridge maintenance project that started in March, and is almost done. They’ve worked on about 40 different bridges around the Salt Lake Valley, placing a weatherproof pavement layer that helps the driving surface last longer.
I-15 on/off-ramp closures at 900 South
- Another freeway ramp south of downtown is scheduled to close next week for about a month.
- The I-15 on- and off-ramps at 900 South will close Tuesday night. During the closure, you’ll need to use alternate routes like 1300 South or 2100 South.
- While these ramps are closed, crews will reconstruct the bridges over 300 West.
Redwood Road widening in Saratoga Springs
- In Utah County, work has started to widen Redwood Road from 400 South to Lakeview Terrace Road.
- Another project nearby is repaving Redwood Road just south of there. Traffic is shifted, and lane restrictions are in place for both projects, so expect delays and lane restrictions throughout this area.
- When these two projects wrap up in the fall, traffic will flow a lot more smoothly.
- There’s a lot happening on Redwood Road this summer – that’s why we included Redwood Road on our list of Top 10 projects. We’ve got these Saratoga Springs projects, as well as two others in Riverton and North Salt Lake.
Remember that construction schedules are always changing due to weather, equipment, or other issues. For the latest information to help plan your trip, visit the UDOT Traffic website at udottraffic.utah.gov.