Cache County Sheriff’s Office K9 dies after inhaling Foxtail weed during demonstration

Local News

CACHE COUNTY (News4Utah)- The Cache County Sheriff’s Office is mourning the loss of one of their K9 officers.

They say 2-year-old Storm unexpectedly died during surgery after he inhaled or ingested Foxtail weeds during a public demonstration.

“Foxtail weeds have barbed seed heads, and they can work themselves into any part of an animal’s body. The danger with Foxtail are the seeds do not break down once inside the body and can cause massive infection,” a press release from the sheriff’s office said.

Officials say Tuesday night Storm attended the public event to show off his abilities to the public. 

“Wednesday morning, our K9 deputy noticed a change in behavior in Storm, and he was taken to a local veterinarian to be examined,” a press release stated.

The vet said Storm had a lot of fluid around his lungs and his chest, they said. A tube was put in to drain the fluid and x-rays were taken. It was then that the vet determined Storm had inhaled or ingested the weed.

Storm died during the surgery, the press release stated.

The 2-year-old Malinois joined the K9 team last year.

A memorial service will be held in the near future to honor him.

This is a developing story. Updates will be posted as they become available. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Utah VP Debate

More Utah Debate