Cache County man injured while making fireworks

Local News

CACHE COUNTY (News4Utah)- A 47-year-old man is in the hospital after he was injured in an explosion.

Police say the man, Derek Parkinson, was in his Richmond garage Tuesday evening miking black powder for homemade fireworks when the explosion happened. 

Emergency crews responded and took Parkinson to the hospital. The rest of the people in the home were evacuated after fire crews found a leaking propane tank in the home.

Officials say Parkinson’s arms and face were injured. 

Neighbors may have heard another explosion around 2 a.m. after bomb crews set off the remaining firework material.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.