UPDATE: Suspect killed in Murray officer-involved shooting identified

Local News
WEDNESDAY 6/23/2021 11:58 a.m.

MURRAY, Utah (ABC4) – Murray Police have identified the man shot and killed by police after a domestic violence call on Tuesday.

Authorities were called to a domestic violence call between a mother and son near 800 E. Vine Street shortly after 4 p.m.

The woman told dispatch she believed her son was going to kill her.

Upon arrival, police say they were met by a man, now identified as 33-year-old Willie Salazar, outside of the apartment. When a confrontation ensued, shots were exchanged.

Murray Police say Salazar, who was shot and killed at the scene, “has an extensive domestic violence history.”

An unidentified officer was wounded by a gunshot to the leg. They were transported to a local hospital and has since been released.

Two officers have been placed on administrative leave pending the Officer Involved Critical Incident Investigation.

No other details are available at this time.

ORIGINAL STORY: Suspect shot and killed by police, officer injured after domestic violence call in Murray

TUESDAY 6/22/2021 6:23 p.m.

MURRAY, Utah (ABC4) – An officer involved shooting left one man dead and a Murray police officer injured Tuesday afternoon.  

Officers responded to a report of a domestic dispute at the Villas at Vine Apartments located at 800 E. Vine Street around 4:30.

A male suspect was shot and killed by police, and an officer on the scene was transported to Intermountain Hospital with a non-life threatening leg injury.  

What lead up to the shooting is still unclear.

Witnesses at the apartment complex tell ABC4 they heard multiple gun shots being fired in the area.

Makenzie Starks lives next door to the unit that is blocked off by police caution tape.  

Starks said she was in the kitchen cooking when she heard gunshots. She ran outside and brought her kids to safety, before she heard more shots ring out.  

“Definitely sounded like almost two clips,” Starks said.  

She said several gunshots were fired within two minutes of each other.  

“I just heard the gunshots and I’m just honestly grateful that I didn’t have to see anything initially because I don’t know what that would’ve done to me,” Starks said.  

Since a Murray police officer was involved, Salt Lake City Police is taking over the investigation.  

While neighbors wait for police to finish their investigation, some tell ABC4 News they saw this coming.  

“I’ve been honestly waiting…is that horrible to say? We’ve had cops in and out a lot around here so its been like ‘okay when is it going to happen?’ Starks said”  

The identity of the suspect hasn’t been released. The investigation is ongoing.

This is a developing story. It will be updated as more information becomes available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Utah Coronavirus

More Coronavirus Updates


More In Focus

Justice Files

More Justice Files