FRIDAY 9/10/2021 4:40 p.m.

FARMINGTON, Utah (ABC4) – Mayor Erin Mendenhall and Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown have released statements after the deadly Farmington hostage situation ended on Friday afternoon.

During the incident, police say the suspect held five people hostage in a home and after hours of negotiation, gunfire was exchanged.

The suspect was shot and transported to a local hospital where he died from his injuries, officials confirm.

Investigations are still being conducted regarding the incident and shooting.

“Today, our officers found themselves in a highly volatile and dangerous situation,” says Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown. “Based on the preliminary investigation, our officer saved the lives of several hostages and prevented further harm to those on scene. The courageous action of our officer is an example of the finest professionalism and bravery displayed by our members every day. I stand by and support our officer’s decision. These are traumatic situations for everyone involved. I have met with our officer. Our department is providing our officer with assistance and services. The Salt Lake City Police Department stands ready and appreciates the opportunity to support other law enforcement agencies.”

“First, my heart goes out to the victims of today’s incident in Davis County,” says Mendenhall. “To be involved in such a volatile situation is unthinkable and I hope that each of them is able to find comfort in this most difficult time. Today, in responding to a call for assistance from a neighboring department, officers from the Salt Lake City Police Department were faced with making a decision that no officer ever wants to make. Their training and professionalism helped them to act with selflessness and prevent tragic events. I am thankful that they are able to come back to their homes and families safely, and that others are no longer in harm’s way because of their actions under dire circumstances.”

FRIDAY 9/10/2021 1:13 p.m.

FARMINGTON, Utah (ABC4) – The man found in a home, with hostages, following an early morning manhunt in Davis County, has died after being struck by an officer’s gunshots.

According to Assistant Police Chief Devin Rogers with the Clearfield City Police Department, his agency received a call that a wanted individual was at a resident’s home. The man, 31-year-old Joseph Manard, was wanted out of Layton City for “multiple aggravated incidents.”

While police were unable to locate the man, they received a report that he had returned to the Clearfield home around 1:30 a.m. Friday morning. Again, officers were unable to locate the man. A short while later, Clearfield Police found a vehicle associated with the man driving in the area.

When officers tried to stop the vehicle, they say it fled. The chase moved to the Farmington area where the man abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot. As authorities were searching for the man, police say they received a 911 call that a man had threatened a woman at gunpoint to let him take her vehicle.

Authorities say Manard fired a round through one of the vehicle’s windows when the woman resisted. At that point, she then got out of the vehicle, he got inside, and fled again. Officers located Manard around 800 N Main Street in Clearfield.

When officers again pursued him, Rogers says Manard swerved at an officer and caused them to go off the road to avoid a collision. Manard then got on I-15 and was traveling southbound through Davis County. At that point, Utah Highway Patrol and the Davis County Sheriff’s Office began pursuing him.

The man later abandoned that vehicle after police were able to spike the tires near Shepard Lane in Farmington. With the tires deflated, Rogers explains the vehicle was inoperable and Manard abandoned it along I-15. Farmington City Police Chief Wayne Hansen says officers could see Manard jumped a fence into someone’s yard before they lost sight of him.

Multiple agencies, including the Davis County SWAT team, were called in to help locate Manhard. Hansen says authorities were going door-to-door in the neighborhood trying to find him.

Manard later found his way into a Farmington home where five other people were and held them hostage. After hours of negotiation, Hansen says “at some point, gunfire erupted.” Manard was struck by that gunfire. He was then airlifted to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. Hansen says the officer who fired the gunshot is a member of the Salt Lake City department.

Victim advocates are now working with the family – a young girl, two women, and two men – that had been held hostage, according to Hansen. He says they have experienced a lot of emotions but “are more or less okay.” Hansen says this was a random incident.

The Davis County Officer-Involved Shooting Protocol team is now investigating the shooting. Hansen says there is no word yet if Manhard fired any rounds.

This is a developing story, check back for updates.

Manhunt suspect found in home with hostages, struck by police gunfire in Davis County

FRIDAY 9/10/2021 9:35 a.m.

FARMINGTON, Utah (ABC4) – Centerville Police say the situation in Davis County has “stabilized” and the shelter in place order has been lifted. This comes amid an early morning manhunt.

Police say the situation is still “fluid” but “the situation has been resolved” near 1700 S Frontage Road in Farmington. Thirty-one-year-old Joseph Manard, the suspect in the manhunt, was struck by police gunfire after authorities found him in a home. His injuries are unknown at this time but ABC4’s Sarah Martin reports the University of Utah Health medical helicopter was on scene. No officers were injured during this incident.

Within that residence, authorities say five hostages were in the home. While authorities have not confirmed the ages of any of these hostages, they say none of these individuals were harmed and were able to get out of the home.

A police presence will remain in the area for a few more hours but there is no longer any danger to the public. For more on this story, scroll down.

Manhunt suspect ‘contained,’ negotiations underway, Farmington PD says

FRIDAY 9/10/2021 8:54 a.m.

FARMINGTON, Utah (ABC4) – Police now say the suspect in a manhunt in Davis County is no longer at large.

Farmington Police say 31-year-old Joseph Manard is now contained inside a home and negotiations are underway “for a safe ending.”

For more on this story, scroll down.

ORIGINAL STORY: Armed man flees officers, manhunt underway in Davis County

FRIDAY 9/10/2021 6:16 a.m.

Editor’s Note: The situation is in Centerville, not Clearfield as stated in the video above.

FARMINGTON, Utah (ABC4) – There is an active manhunt underway for a man believed to be armed and dangerous in Davis County.

Farmington Police say at around 1:30 a.m., there was an incident in Clearfield. Authorities report 31-year-old Joseph Manard, believed to be armed, fled officers.

Earlier this week, after an incident on Wednesday, warrants were issued for Manhard out of Layton City, authorities tell ABC4. Manard was spotted in Clearfield early Friday morning after returning to the address of an assault victim multiple times and officers began pursuing him.

Manard evaded police but eventually abandoned his vehicle. Using a firearm, authorities tell ABC4 Manard carjacked another vehicle. The driver in that car is OK but suffered non-serious injuries. Manard is said to have shot out one of the car’s windows but there is no word that he shot at police.

In a subsequent chase with the stolen vehicle, authorities say Manhard did attempt to ram a police vehicle. Police were able to spike Manard’s vehicle southbound on I-15 between Centerville and Farmington.

Manard allegedly ran on foot and was last seen in the area of 1700 S Frontage Road in Farmington. Authorities from multiple jurisdictions are now in the neighborhood searching for Manhard. A reverse 911 call was also sent out in the area to alert residents to stay inside. If you do not need to be outside this morning, police ask that you remain inside and avoid the area.

Manard is armed and dangerous. Authorities are concerned he may become dangerous if confronted. The manhunt has delayed school for students at Reading Elementary and Stewart Elementary.

As of 5:30 a.m., Manard is said to have been wearing a red shirt/hoodie and a black hat.

Joseph Manard, believed to be armed and dangerous, who Farmington Police are now searching for. (Farmington Police Department)

If you see Manard, pictured above, police ask that you contact 911.

This is a developing story, ABC4 will provide updates as they become available.