SALT LAKE COUNTY (News4Utah)- Fourteen restaurants in Salt Lake County have been approved to allow dogs on their patios.
Health officials say they expect additional establishments to apply for the variance; by the end of patio dining season last year, 16 establishments had received the variance.
Here’s the current list of approved restaurants:
Brewhouse Pub 1722 South Fremont Drive
Campfire Lounge 837 East 2100 South
Caputo’s 15th & 15th 1516 South 1500 East
Fisher Brewing Company 320 West 800 South
Flatbread Neapolitan Pizzeria 2121 South McClelland St
Pig and a Jelly Jar 401 East 900 South
Pig and a Jelly Jar 1968 East Murray Holladay Rd.
Prohibition 151 East 6100 South
Proper Burger Co. 865 South Main Street
Squatters 147 West Broadway
Taqueria 27 149 East 200 South
Taqueria 27 1615 South Foothill Blvd
Taqueria 27 4670 South Holladay Blvd
Taqueria 27 6154 South State Street
Health officials say the variance only applies to dogs and does not affect qualifying ADA service dogs.
To receive “dog patio” approval, food-service establishments must submit a special processes safety plan (known as a HACCP Plan), pay an application fee of $315 (which covers the staff time necessary to review the safety plan and conduct an on-site inspection of the patio), and agree to a few simple rules:
- Establishment must post signs that notify patrons that dogs may be on the premises
- The patio must have an outdoor entrance so dogs don’t have to go through an interior dining area, and there must be self-closing doors between the patio and interior area
- The patio must be cleaned with animal-friendly chemicals at the beginning of each shift, or every six hours if the business does not have defined shifts
- Any dog bathroom “accidents” must be cleaned and the area sanitized within 5 minutes
- Wait staff and other restaurant food-handlers may not touch any dog
- Dogs must remain on-leash, and must have collars with current license and rabies tag
- Dogs may not be on tables or chairs
- Dogs should be given water in a disposable container, but may not eat food (including dog food or treats)
- Dogs may not have contact with any dishes or utensils
The variance is good for one year and establishments in good standing may renew it in subsequent years for a $100 fee.