Former Grantsville High Football Coach Charged With Witness Tampering


TOOELE (ABC4 Utah News) – Former Grantsville High School Head Football Coach Curtis Ware was already accused of sexual abusing an underage female student. Now he’s behind bars and charged with witness tampering.

The 48 year old former coach and teacher was specifically ordered not to have contact with the 17 year old accuser by Judge Robert Adkins but Tooele County Prosecutor Gary K. Searle says Ware recently began messaging her on Instagram.

“Within the past couple of weeks, Mr. Ware has had not only electronic media contact with the victim,” Searle told ABC4 Utah News. “But physical contact with the victim..where he, in our opinion. was pressuring her into lying and creating what today in court was called “a plan” in order to get the initial case dismissed.”

Thursday on the witness stand, the accuser said Ware picked her up in his truck on two occasions and drove her to the mountains. The second time he talked about his pending case. During her testimony she said “He was saying things like how he didn’t want to go to prison”, “just say it didn’t happen” and “say ‘I made this up’.”

Judge Robert Adkins concluded there was probable cause to bind the witness tampering charge over for trial.

“The court finds that Mr. Ware should be held without bail,” Judge Adkins said.

He also rescinded bail on the previous case.

“These two are completely intertwined,” Searle said. “That’s why we felt that he’s a danger to this girl as far as contacting her, as far as pressuring her. The judge found that today, found that there was probable cause that he was trying to get her to testify or inform falsely and we think he’s a danger to her.”

Ware pleaded not guilty to the initial 12 charges. He’ll have the opportunity to enter a plea to the new charge at his arraignment scheduled for March 28th.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


More Podcasts