PLEASANT GROVE, Utah (ABC4 News) – A field fire that started at a construction site is being blamed on fireworks.
Firefighters say a group of people in their mid-teens to early twenties were lighting fireworks at a construction site near 2275 West 250 South at 9 p.m. Tuesday night when the fire spread to about 2 1/2 acres.
Crews said residents living at a nearby apartment complex were placed on standby for a possible evacuation.
Crews were able to get the flames out and residents were allowed to stay in their homes.
Lone Peak Fire District crews were called in to help the Pleasant Grove Fire Department.
“We love America, freedom, and this great State of Utah but we are not in love with the irresponsible use of fireworks. It’s too hot, they are too dangerous, and no one wants to be the one responsible for burning the whole town down,” a post on the Lone Peak Fire District page stated.
They say they have had numerous calls of teens illegally using fireworks and have a zero-tolerance policy. If you’re caught setting off fireworks in a restricted zone, you could be fined up to $1,000.
Police say the group responsible for the fire were cited for reckless burning. No injuries to people or property were reported.
What others are clicking on:
- Knoxville couple has virtual wedding to keep loved ones safe from coronavirus
- Salt Lake County leaders, health officials to make coronavirus announcement Sunday
- Trump administration designates firearms industry as ‘critical’ infrastructure
- Dr. Fauci warns U.S. could see over 100,000 deaths
- Pelosi: Trump’s downplaying of coronavirus cost American lives