UPDATE: Police have arrested 23-year-old Justin Williford, who was identified as the driver involved in the fatal auto-pedestrian crash on Saturday. He was booked into jail for felony DUI.
The man that died has been identified as John Hautau, 40. The other victim remains in critical condition.
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – One person is dead and another is in critical condition after they were hit by a car early Saturday morning.
Salt Lake City Police say the crash happened around 1:00 a.m. near 300 South 500 East in downtown Salt Lake City.
Police say the two were crossing the street and before they got to the other side, the light ended for them. That’s when the driver of the car got a green light, took off and hit them.
Police tell ABC4 News the two people were taken to the hospital and one died from their injuries. The other is expected to survive.
The driver of the car is being charged with DUI and other charges.
The crash is under investigation. The identity of the man killed will not be released pending notification of next of kin.
This is a developing story. Updated will be posted as they become available.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Kroger cashiers stop giving customers coins for change amid shortage spurred by pandemic
- Utah earthquake declared presidential disaster, SBA assistance now available
- Save local stages: Concert venue industry urges Congress for COVID-19 relief
- California shuts bars, indoor dining and most gyms, churches
- Hand sanitizer recall: FDA expands list of ‘toxic’ sanitizers to avoid over methanol risk