AMERICAN FORK, Utah (ABC4 News) – A new fire is burning at the mouth of American Fork Canyon. Lone Peak Fire District responded to the scene.
The fire appeared to burn on the north side of the mouth of the canyon. Firefighters confirmed it at 5 acres and that the blaze was started by target shooting.
According to Lone Peak Fire District Fire Chief Reed Thompson, “The fire is 50% contained, we have a fire line around it, but some of the juniper trees are still torching up.”
Thompson explained the fire was burning inside a burn scar from 2017.
He said firefighters will return in the morning to check for hotspots with the southeast side being a point of concern.
This story will be updated as more information comes in.
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s how Biden might try to boost the economy
- Navajo homes getting electricity with CARES Act funding
- Man with history of DUI’s found passed out behind the wheel at stop sign in Utah County
- Utah 2 day report shows 6,142 new COVID-19 cases Friday, 15 new deaths
- Report: Utah officer captured on ABC4 cameras used ‘improper’ force when pushing man during protests