MURRAY, Utah (Intermountain Healthcare) – The new Intermountain Layton Hospital officially opened on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 7 am, with full hospital and emergency healthcare services.
The 300,000-square-foot building, located at 201 W. Layton Parkway, has 43 beds and will serve a growing Davis County population.
Stephen Hawley, a Syracuse resident, is the first patient to have surgery. “It’s interesting and kind of neat in a way to be the first,” says Hawley. “I think the doctors are going to spend more time and focus on me, so that’s a good thing. The staff all seem excited for the grand opening.”
Hawley moved to Utah from California more than a decade ago for his job. “I love it here. It’s beautiful and so quiet and peaceful,” he says.
Layton Hospital is much closer to Hawley’s home in Syracuse, Utah, a small, growing town just east of the Great Salt Lake. The next nearest Intermountain hospital, McKay-Dee, is a 30-minute drive away.
“During my recovery from surgery it will be nice to have only a 5- to 10-minute drive home,” he says.
Little Madeline was the first baby delivered at the new hospital on opening day,
Lauren Shaw, Mother, ‘we always said we just need to make it to the 15th. My husband, in particular, wanted to deliver here because we live really close by.’
Until now, most Davis County residents have had to travel outside the county for Intermountain Healthcare services.
“We’re proud to be your new neighbor,” hospital administrator Judy Williamson said at a ribbon-cutting ceremony. “Intermountain Healthcare has a long history of support from our local communities and wouldn’t be here today without the support from Layton City and Intermountain leaders.”
Layton Hospital is Intermountain’s 23rd hospital and the first hospital to be opened in almost a decade. Park City Hospital and Riverton Hospital were the last hospitals to open, and both started serving patients in 2009. A 24th hospital, Spanish Fork Hospital, is currently under construction and scheduled to open in 2020.
More details about Layton Hospital and the services provided:
- Major services include emergency services, women and newborn, special care nursery, surgical services, and infusion therapy.
- The labor and delivery unit includes dedicated rooms for low-intervention birthing — complete with water laboring tubs — for mothers looking for a “home birth” experience in the safety of a hospital.
- Layton Hospital Outpatient Clinics have been open since September 2017 and include: Primary Children’s Outpatient Services, Layton Parkway Clinic, Northern Utah Pediatrics, a retail pharmacy, and additional physician offices.
- The Layton Clinic InstaCare located at Antelope Dr. will be moving to the Layton Parkway Clinic on the hospital campus later this year.
- List of complete services includes:
- Emergency Services
- Gift Shop
- Imaging Services
- Medical Records
- Dietitian Services
- Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Services
- Volunteer Services
- Surgical Services
- Same Day Surgery
- Labor & Delivery
- Special Care Nursery
- Women & Newborn
- Intensive Care Unit