UPDATE (11/24/2020) Police have identified the teen killed after being accidentally shot at a home in Kearns over the weekend.
Police say Roman Karpunin, 16, was shot in the back as his friend was impersonating an officer with a gun he did not realize was loaded.
It was originally reported Karpunin was 15 but police have corrected his age to 16.
KEARNS (ABC4 News) – Police are investigating the shooting death of a 16-year-old male early Saturday morning in Kearns.
According to Det. Kevin Mallory, officers with Unified Police responded to a home on Alex St. in Kearns around 1:11 a.m. after neighbors called to report some sort of commotion.
Upon arrival, police discovered a teen had been shot and EMS had tried to save him but he died before they could get there.
Mallory said it was just a small gathering of teenagers inside the home when the shooting happened.
The incident is still under investigation and Mallory said they arrested 18-year-old Kaden Christiansen. He has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on one count of manslaughter a 2nd-degree felony.
Mallory said the shooting is not gang related.
*Developing* – An update will be providedonce additional information is released.
- Small Utah business proud to have created the largest American flag at the inauguration
- Man killed in West Valley crash
- Among dozens of inaugurations, President Biden’s Bible stands out
- President Biden signs 15 executive orders within hours of taking oath
- Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott to leave his post in June