We were thrilled to have Rita Magalde with Sheer Ambrosia Bakery in our kitchen today, whipping up mouth-watering Greek Christmas cookie, Kourambiedes! A baker, mother, and author, Rita truly does it all! Follow the instructions below to make your own, and stop by Sheer Ambrosia Bakery in Draper to support local, and have a tasty pastry!
- I pound of softened unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups of powdered sugar / More for cookie dusting
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (we will roast them in the oven before using them in the recipe). Once golden brown, allow to cool
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Put chopped nuts on cookie sheet and roast until golden brown. Remove from oven after 5 -10 minutes depending on your oven
- Blend butter and sugar together until fully incorporated
- Add eggs and vanilla
- In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients and mix well
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix just until they are mixed well. Do not OVER mix
- Form ball about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes
- While still warm, toss in a bowl of powdered sugar
- Place on cookie sheet close together allowing them to touch
- Go over the top one last time with powdered sugar
- Place in cupcake liners
They will last in airtight containers for at least two weeks. They are so delicious thought, the cookies will be eaten long before then!