This isn’t your traditional pasta dish… Krista Numbers joins us with the recipe for a great Italian dinner.
Sweet Potato And Rigatoni Bake
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 2 1/2 C milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 C shredded fontina
- 1 C swiss cheese, cubed
- 3/4 C parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1 large head radicchio, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 tsp rosemary, minced
- 4 oz pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a 9×13 baking dish. On a baking sheet toss the sweet potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, the thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water and return to pot.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk just to a simmer. In a medium sauce pan melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Add the flour and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk a little at a time until incorporated. Cook over moderate heat, whisking ofter, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the fontina and parmesan cheeses and the nutmeg and mix until cheese is melted. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Stir the cheese sauce into the pasta.
- In a medium bowl, toss the radicchio with the rosemary, the remaining olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Season with pepper and toss, then add to the pasta and mix well. Spread half of the pasta in the prepared baking dish. Place half each of the sweet potatoes, cubed Swiss cheese and pecans on top of the pasta. Repeat with the remaining pasta, sweet potatoes, Swiss cheese and pecans. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan on top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 more minutes, until the cheese is melted and the pasta is tender. Let the pasta stand for 15 minutes. Garnish with the slivered parsley and serve.
For more recipes and weekly menu plans, visit simplifysupper.com.
This story includes sponsored content.