Krista Numbers from Simplify Supper is back and showing us how to make a refreshing summer meal.
Sweet and Spicy Summer Slaw
- 1 1/2-2 pounds napa cabbage, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced in 1/8-inch ribbons
- 3 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 6 scallions thinly bias-sliced green onions
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1 – inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
In a very large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, cucumber, green onions, peanuts, mint and cilantro; set aside.
Then in a small bowl or screw-top jar, whisk or shake together the lime juice, sugar, rice vinegar and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Add ginger, canola oil, sesame oil and crushed red pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad you may not use all of it and toss well. Add salt, and toss again. Chill, covered, for up to 4 hours before serving.