Memorial Day weekend is the official start to summer. It’s time to show off that beautiful backyard with a garden party! Chef Freyka Nunez Del Prado joined us from Harmons to teach us how to make seared steak endive cups.
- ¼ cup cucumber peel/seeded/small diced
- 2 Tbsp. scallions thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. red pepper finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 8-oz flank steak
- ½ Tsp. coarse sea salt
- ½ Tsp. fenugreek grounded into a powder
- ½ Tsp. oregano crushed
- 2 medium Endives
- Balsamic glaze as needed
- 4 Tbsp. fresh oregano minced
- ¼ cup pine nuts lightly toasted/chopped coarsely
- Combine the cucumber, scallions, red pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Season with the lime juice, salt, and pepper to create a cucumber salsa.
For the steak:
- Bring steak to room temperature before grilling.
- Pat steaks dry with a paper towel, if need it.
- Heat a grill skillet over high heat.
- Combine the stake seasonings, and pat over the steak on both sides
- Lightly brush skillet with canola oil, and brush a little bit of oil over the steak as well.
- Grill steak for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Bring steak out and rest for 3 minutes before slicing.
For the endive cups:
- Open the endives and separate into what it will look like 16 mini cups.
- Slice steak against the grain, medium thick slices will be fine.
- Then slice them by half.
- Combine with cucumber salad, readjust the salt, lime, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into endives, drizzle with balsamic glaze, and garnish with the fresh oregano and the pine nuts.