We were lucky enough to have Marcus Cordova, directory of culinary arts, and Aaron Spain, the executive chef of Summit Vista in our kitchen today to share their recipe for merlot poached pears with a vanilla bean mascarpone and their upcoming location in Taylorsville.
Merlot Poached Pears with a Vanilla Bean Mascarpone
- 3 -4 cups dry red wine, such as cabernet or merlot
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 orange, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
- One 1 by 3-inch strip orange zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-4 cloves
- 4 firm, ripe pears
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine wine, sugar, orange juice, zest, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving stem intact and being careful not to blemish the
- flesh of the pears.
- Slice 1/4-inch off the bottom of the pears to create a flat bottom.
- Gently place pears in poaching liquid, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5
- minutes to ensure even color, until pears are cooked but still firm.
- Remove saucepan from flame, uncover and cool with pears upright in pan.
- Once cool, cover and chill in refrigerator at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally,
- if desired.
- Gently remove pears from liquid and allow to come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, reduce liquid by about half over a medium-high flame for 15 minutes, until liquid is
- thicker and slightly syrupy.
- Remove from flame and let liquid come to room temperature.
- Drizzle each pear with 2 tablespoons syrup and serve.
Vanilla Bean Mascarpone
- ½ Madagascar vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons confectionary sugar
- 8 oz. mascarpone
- 1 Combine vanilla bean, confectionary sugar
- 2 8 oz mascarpone in a bowl and mix
- 3 Place in piping bag for plating
- Garnished with fresh berries and mint
Residents at Summit Vista have access to amenities such as fitness, continuing education, arts, social activities, nutritious restaurant-quality food and so much more!
Marcus and Aaron run multiple restaurants at Summit Vista that offer over 75 menu options for every diet and preference. They work with a committee of residents, the Culinary Arts Committee, to determine the menu options. The Culinary Arts Committee meets regularly to plan the dining program and to ensure that there are the best food options.
If you want to learn more about Summit Vista, you can visit them online at summitvista.com or call (801) 413-7539 to RSVP to their upcoming lunch and learn event.
This story includes sponsored content.