If you’ve been asked to bring a salad to a holiday party, look no further than this recipe complete with homemade pecans! Krista Numbers with Simplify Supper joined us with the recipe.
Holiday Apple Salad
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 C pecans
- 6 C mixed greens
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 C crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 C extra-virgin olive oil
- Candy pecans: In a skillet over medium heat, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water. Stir, letting sugar dissolve, then add pecans and toss until totally coated. Let simmer 5 minutes until sticky, then remove from heat and let cool on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- (Pecans you don’t use for the salad can be stored in an airtight container up to 1 week.)
- Assemble salad: In a large bowl, combine greens, apples, candied pecans, blue cheese, and dried cranberries. Refrigerate until ready to dress and serve.
- Make dressing: In a bowl or glass jar, whisk together apple cider vinegar, shallot, Dijon, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle salad with dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
This story includes sponsored content.