Chef Marcus Cordova from Summit Vista came in today and showed us his amazing Acapulco Style Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camerones.) Perfect for a special occasion, or a laid back night in, this recipe is extremely versatile.
Acapulco Style Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camerones.)
- 1 finely diced small red onion
- 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
- 1 ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1-pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped with tails removed except for 6 to place on top as part of the garnish
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 4 cups tomato juice or Clamato (chilled)
- 1 cup orange soda
- ¼ cup lime juice (or to taste) plus 1 lime wedged for garnish
- Mexican hot sauce, to taste (I like Chalula)
- 1 cup cucumber, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium avocados diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- lime wedges, for serving
- cilantro springs, for serving
- Serve with Tortilla Chips or Crackers
- Fill a saucepan with water, bring to boil with salt and pepper. Add shrimp, turn off heat and let sit 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Drain and cool shrimp is ice water.
- Combine ketchup, clam juice, lime juice, orange soda and hot sauce.
- In another bowl, combine cooled shrimp, diced tomatoes, diced onion, jalapeno, cucumber, avocado and cilantro. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over shrimp and vegetable combination, toss to coat. Serve in large, wide-rimmed glasses with a shrimp (with tail) on top. Garnish with a lime wedge and cilantro springs.
This story includes sponsored content.