April 12 is National Grilled Cheese Day, so we decided to celebrate a few days early with two grown up grilled cheese sandwiches. Krista Numbers from Simplify Suppers joined us with the recipes.
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 head cauliflower, (to make about 4 cups processed cauliflower)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 1/2 c. shredded white Cheddar
1. Cut cauliflower into florets. Process cauliflower florets in a food processor until the texture resembles rice. Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower.
2. In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, Parmesan and oregano. Mix until evenly combined then season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small patty on one side of the pan. Repeat to form a second patty on the other side. (These are your “bread” slices.) Press down on both pieces with a spatula and cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
4. Top one cauliflower slice with cheese then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Bacon Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices thick white bread
- 16 slices cooked bacon
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced into circles
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
1. Butter outside sides of each slice of bread.
2. Place cheddar cheese, two slices bacon and two slices of apple on each inside piece of bread.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place assembled sandwiches butter side down in skillet and press down with spatula. Cook until golden brown underneath, about five minutes. Flip and cook the other side about three minutes more.
Visit simplifysupper.com for more information.
This story includes sponsored content.