This sweet snack is perfect for those hot summer days! Chef Looney is back on GTU to give you the perfect recipe for Strawberry Lemonade Sorbet!
Strawberry Lemonade Sorbet
– 1 lb. Strawberries
– 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 2 cups sugar
– 2 cups hot water
For the simple syrup:
1. Combine the water and sugar, mix well, stir until clear. refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using, may be prepared in advance.
- Clean the strawberries and remove the tops. Place strawberries and lemon juice in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of simple syrup, pulse to mix well, then test for sugar balance (see notes). Repeat this step until the sugar balance is correct.
- Once the sugar balance is correct, freeze in the bowl of an ice cream maker. Immediately place in a freezer container and freeze for 8-12 hours before consuming.
To measure the sugar balance of any sorbet:
- Wash a fresh egg in soap and lukewarm water.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently lower the egg into the sorbet mix.
- If the egg sinks, more simple syrup is needed.
- If there is a spot of the egg about the size of a nickel visible (about 3/4″), the sugar balance is correct.
- If more of the egg is visible, more fruit puree is needed.
This test works with any sorbet. Let your imagination run wild! Any combination of fruit puree flavors is possible!