Shauna Havey joined us today to end soup week on a high note! She shares her own recipe that she created, for smoky cheddar and pumpkin ale.
Smoky Cheddar & Pumpkin Ale Soup
Makes 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 pint pumpkin ale (substitute club soda or sparking apple cider)
- 1/4 cup jarred pumpkin butter (or pumpkin puree)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup popcorn
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 cup thin pretzel sticks, broken into large chunks
- Melt butter in soup pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables soften.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg, mustard powder, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce and cook one more minute. Sprinkle in flour and mix to coat the vegetables.
- Add the pumpkin ale (or substitute) and the pumpkin butter. Stir gently to mix.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the soup to a simmer. Add the cheeses by the handfuls along with the half and half.
- Continue to simmer the soup until it’s warmed through. Then, ladle into serving bowls.
- Garnish soup with popcorn, diced bacon, and pretzels.
For more of Shauna’s amazing recipes, visit haveyourselfatime.com and find her on Instagram: @haveyourselfatime