Joslyn Lodder from @shortcakebakes demonstrates simple Santa sugar cookies. They taste just like Granny B’s pink sugar cookies!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- Take butter, beat in the mixer until it is creamy, add in sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla then mix to combine.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. (I just whisk it in a bowl).
- Add half of the flour to the butter and mix,
then add the sour cream and mix,
and then the rest of the flour and mix to fully incorporate.
- Take the dough and roll it out between two parchement papers to about 1/3 inch thick.
- Put in fridge laying flat.
- Chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Pull out and cut into circles.
- Bake at 375℉ for 6 to 8 minutes.
This recipe may need to be doubled or tripled in order to frost all of your cookies.
I usually make one batch and dye it red.
And then make a triple batch, and keep it white for frosting the beard.
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 ⅓ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Put butter in bowl and beat with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add about half the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Beat in milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar and mix on high until the frosting is smooth.
- Add more milk if needed.
- Add red food coloring if desired.
- Black frosting tube (it’s just easier for piping the tiny eyes and not having to fuss over making a batch of black frosting.)
- Red sugar sprinkles
- Piping bag
- Medium sized round piping tip
Instructions: To see the decorating you can watch the decorating tutorial below.
- To prepare, put your sprinkles in a pie pan or on a plate.
- Put the white frosting into your piping bag fitted with a medium round tip.
- And your black frosting in a bag with a small number 2 round tip.
- Take your red frosting and spread it over the 1/3 of the top of the cookie.
- Take it and immediately turn it over on the red sugar sprinkles, coating the red frosting in sprinkles.
- Do this with all of your cookies.
- Then take your piping bag and pipe the white frosting for the fur and pom pom of the santa hat.
- Then going in a circular motion pipe the white around the bottom edge of the cookie for the beard.
- Then add another circular piping for the mustache.
- Take the black frosting in the piping bag and pipe two little eyes.